Rainbow Hall, Kilmacthomas, Fri 12th to Sun 21st August 2022
For the Love of Water festival is part of the ACT Waterford community arts project which has 5 artists working with 5 communities in Waterford to look at issues connected to climate change.
Artist Karen McBride’s project is based in Kilmacthomas and is looking at water and river systems. She has organized a series of FREE events over 3 weekends at the Rainbow Hall in Kilmacthomas, located in the large tipi facing the mountain and the source of the River Mahon.
The focus of the project is a celebration of the beauty, preciousness, and supreme importance of water.
Week 1 of For the Love of Water went extremely well.
Drumming from John kicked it off with a great thumping beat, then Edel gave a wonderfully relaxing nature mandalas workshop, and on Sunday Suzie took participants on a journey with salmon and then brought them to the banks of the river to discover the amazing variety of tiny life living there. They also made a mural.
For the Love of Water week 2 events are as follows:
- Friday: John will start things off again with another drumming session from 7 -8 pm
- Saturday: We will walk through the magical crough woods and then have a picnic and a swim in the pools at Mahon Falls. Meeting at Crough Cafe in Mahon Bridge at 12. The weather is meant to be spectacular.
- Sunday: I will be giving a Water Warrior Workshop from 12 – 2. If you want to enter the pantheon of the Water Warriors, come along and make a mask, take the oath of the water warrior, and then have your portrait taken. Also on Sunday, come along for a biodiversity walk with local legend, Alan Walshe, called ‘Beneath the Rapids’ from 3 – 5 pm.
For The Love of Water week 3 events are as follows:
- Friday: Be Water Yoga with Kieran McBride – slow moving, nonathletic, meditative style of yoga suitable for all ages and levels of physical ability, 7-8pm.
- Saturday: Water Warrior Workshop 2 – make masks from nature based bio-degradable materials, 3-5pm. Music by the river with Niamh and Aisling, 7-9pm.
- Sunday: Cycle City with Una Dunphy & Kieran McBride – explore the urban landscape in Waterford and design a new map of the city and region that marks out a fullu connected network of cycle lanes and walkways, 11am – 1pm. For the Love of Water Ceremony with Karie Mcshane – a ceremony of sound and celebration for the Mahon River, from it’s source to sea, 3-5pm.
Rainbow Hall, Kilmacthomas, Waterford