WHAT is inviting applications from suitably qualified people to join a panel of musicians to perform for and with patients of University Hospital Waterford as part of our monthly Healing Sounds programme from January 2017 for one year.
The successful applicants will be mentored in bringing live music to the bedside of patients by musician Liam Merriman who qualified as a trainer of hospital musicians with Musique et Sante, Paris and who has vast experience of working within the music and health context.
Healing Sounds in the wards
Healing Sounds is not a music therapy programme. Nor is it a participatory music programme. It is a performance programme whereby the musicians are asked to adapt to the hospital environment and respond to patients’ needs. This programme is funded by the Arts Council.
The successful applicants will have the following:
Musical competence and performance experience including an ability / willingness to use voice
- Excellent interpersonal skills including patient-centred approaches to performance
- Commitment to developing their practice within the context of music and health
- An understanding of the ethos of the Healing Sounds programme
Interested musicians are requested to submit by written application only:
- A current Curriculum Vitae / biography
- Expression of interest (max 200 words) in which musicians state their motivation and suitability for performing in an acute hospital
- Names and full contact details of two relevant referees
Applications should be submitted to the Music Co-ordinator, WHAT, University Hospital Waterford, Dunmore Road, Waterford or emailed to WHAT@hse.ie no later than Friday, October 21st. Please put ‘Healing Sounds application’ in the subject line of the email.
Short listed applicants are invited to attend a workshop in the WHAT Centre for Arts and Health which will be scheduled at 2.00pm on Monday, November 7th 2016 at which a selection will be made. Applicants will be asked to perform for their peers at this workshop.
For further information on WHAT, see http://www.waterfordhealingarts.com
Contact 051 842664 or email WHAT@hse.ie if you have specific queries.