The first arts Winterval at Greyfriars has been deemed a big success. It was open right up to December 23 where people could come in and enjoy a cup of great Hot Chocolate or Coffee in the warm and convivial surroundings of Greyfriars Municipal Gallery. It was open Tuesdays 10am to 5pm and Wednesdays through Sundays from 10am to 7pm (and on Christmas Monday!). Once there you could see three wonderful exhibitions: Waterford scenes by the renowned photographer Terry Murphy, Waterford’s famous Municipal Collection and a selection of faces and places by the one and only Annie Brophy. You could also enjoy and/or participate in some of the wornderful activities planned for Waterford’s Municipal Gallery.
- Family Activities – Every Thursday to Sunday FREE Workshops, Receptions, Tango Dance, Films, Storytelling, Origami plus much much more… November 29 to December 23 at 5.30pm!
- Three great exhibitions – Waterford scenes by the renowned photographer Terry Murphy, Waterford’s famous Municipal Collection and a selection of faces and places by the one and only Annie Brophy.
- The Gallery Coffee Bar – Meet friends and relations in the warm and friendly confines of Greyfriars Gallery while wrapping your hands around a hot cup of delicious Coffee. Bring your portable media device – FREE WIFI FOR ALL LIBRARY MEMBERS
- The Saturday and Sunday Work House Studio Workshops have moved from 35 The Mall to the warmth and comfort of Greyfriars each Saturday and Sunday.
Thursdays in Greyfriars at 5.30pm
5th Waterford Films Showcase: A great selection of short Waterford made films.
12th Tango Night: Come enjoy a wonderful night of Argentine Tango with the wonderful Oksana.
19th Waterford’s annual Christmas Arts Night: Mulled Wine, Mince Pies and good conversation about the state of the arts.
Fridays in Greyfriars at 5.30pm
29th Gallery Opening launch: Paintings from the Municipal Collection, Photographs by Terry Murphy and a selection of stills from Annie Brophy plus refreshments and savouries.
6th Christmas Story Telling – Bring your children to hear a selection of wonderful stories and why not enjoy a cup of great coffee from Greyfriars Coffee Bar?
13th Local historian Dermot Power on Crime and Punishment in Waterford City in the 19th Century. A humourous and informative talk about what life was like in Waterford, why people were jailed, what it was like in jail at the time.
Saturdays in Greyfriars
30th – 5.30pm: Art Workshop – For all budding artists, young and not so young – with Ciara Foley.
7th – 5.30pm:Film: The animated version of The Grinch that stole Christmas – the Classic Dr. Seuss tale (and why not enjoy a cup of great coffee from Greyfriars Coffee Bar at the same time?).
14th – 5.30pm:Children’s Art Workshop – For all budding artists – with Ciara Foley .
- 11am Create your own Christmas Stocking with Work House Studios – €14 (7yrs)
- 3pm Introduction to Felt Making with Work House Studios – €14 (12yrs+)
- 5.30pm Film: A Christmas Story -The classic 1983 film about Ralphie and his ideal Christmas gift. A heart-warming, hilarious children’s film that centres around a toy gun.
Sundays in Greyfriars
1st – 5.30pm Film: Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer – the animated timeless classic. Perfect for young children.
8th – 5.30pm Film: Miracle on 34th Street – The film we all know and love. DO YOU BELIEVE?
15th – 5.30pm Film: The Polar Express – Tom Hanks stars in the magical Christmas journey of a young boy.
- 11am Create your own hand painted Reindeers with Work House Studios €8 (under 8’s)
- 3pm Clay Winter Wonderland Illustration with Work House Studios €7 (all ages)
- 5.30pm Film: The Santa Clause – When Scott Calvin accidentally knocks Santa off his roof, he finds himself magically recruited to take his place. A classic for children and adults to enjoy.
Christmas Monday 23rd
5.30 pm Poetry at Christmas: Come listen to some wonderful winter poetry led by poet and writer Karen Moore.
To book a place for any of the free activities ring 051 849983. Please note there will be a limit on the number of places availableand that adults supervision is required for all children’s activities.
Tuesdays through Sundays and on Christmas Monday.