Waterford City & County Council's Arts resource site
The closing date for 2014 entries has passed.
Get out your pens and pencils and start writing – You have until Friday at 5.30 pm to get your entries in for the Seán Dunne Young Writers Awards!
The Waterford City Council Seán Dunne Young Writers’ Awards are a long-term commemorative tribute to the memory of Waterford writer Seán Dunne. The awards aim is to encourage and support young writers.
€1,200 to the senior nation-wide winner, €500 to the nation-wide junior award and €350 to the overall local winner. The National Senior and Junior winners will also be offered awards of residencies with accommodation for the Waterford Writers’ Weekend (including two workshops) as well as one-to-one mentoring for a 6 month period following the festival. The Local winner will also be offered two workshops during the festival and one-to-one mentoring.
Extracts of the winning entries may be read during the Waterford Writers’ Weekend in March. All entrants are automatically invited to the Awards Ceremony which will be held in Greyfriars’ Municipal Gallery in Waterford on Thursday March 20th 2014.
Conditions of Entry: (please read carefully)
The Categories are:
Poetry (Maximum 40 lines and 1000 words)
Prose (Fiction/Non-fiction, Maximum 2000 words)
Drama/Screenplays (Maximum 5000 words)
• 1. All entries must be previously unpublished.
• 2. Winners must attend the awards in order to claim their prize.
• 3. All entries must be typed on A4 paper (E-mail or Fax entries will not be accepted).
• 4. No alterations can be made to a work once it has been submitted.
• 5. There is no entry fee, but no more than two pieces can be submitted by any individual and they must have separate applications (see below).
• 6. Writers will only be eligible to win one award.
• 7. (A) the title of the work(s) should appear on the top of each page. (B) The identity of the author must not appear on the piece – attach a sheet to each submission with the Name, Address and Phone number of the author his/her Age, the Title and the Category of the submission (sample entry form).
• 8. All entries must be submitted between December 12, 2013 and January 31, 2014.
• 9. Work submitted will not be returned – so please keep a copy!
National Entries (Senior)
For the nation-wide awards entries will be accepted from writers who are 30 years or under on January 31, 2014 and who were born or are resident in Ireland. Submissions can be in Irish or English.
National Entries (Junior)
For the National Junior Sean Dunne Young Writers’ Awards, entries will be accepted from writers who are between the ages of 12 and 16 years by January 31, 2014 and who were born, or are resident in, Ireland. Submissions can be in Irish or English.
Entries will be accepted from writers who between the ages of 16 and 21 years on January 31, 2014 and who were born, or are resident in the Waterford City or Waterford County.Submissions can be in Irish or English.
A panel of established writers will judge entries. The decisions of the judges are final and no correspondence can be entered into regarding that decision. The prize-winners will be notified by mid March 2014, and the awards will be bestowed at the Waterford Writers’ Weekend, March 2014.
Copyright will remain with the entrant, but Waterford City Council reserves the right to arrange the first publication, broadcast or dramatisation of the selected work as they see fit. Submission of a written work implies the entrant’s acceptance of the conditions set out above.
Postal address for entries:
Seán Dunne Young Writers’ Awards,
The Arts Office,
Waterford City Council,
If you require further information ring 051 849983 – Please note the Arts Office is open Tuesdays to Fridays 11.00 to 17.00.