Loftus Hall, South Campus, Maynooth University, Co.Kildare. 16th to the 20th July 2018
Kildare County Council Arts Service is delighted to announce our Dance & Movement
Summer School Programme running from the 16th – 20th July 2018.
Curated by Ailish Claffey, this year’s Summer School is in two parts:
1) Dance & Movement (Mon 16th – Weds 18th July)
Movement-based workshops with leading Irish and international dance practitioners, suitable for people of all ages (18+) and abilities. No dance experience required. Workshops include:
- Candoco (UK) /Led by dancers from Candoco Dance Company, this workshop will explore the company’s approach to inclusive practice and offer a space for participants to play, make, discuss practice and enjoy a creative experience with each other. This day is designed for disabled and non-disabled dancers, artists, teachers and students at various stages in their careers.
- Wendy Hermelin (UK) / JOURNEY – a movement choir – We all live frenetic lives at times and need replenishment in the way of peace calm and creativity. This movement choir will take us on a journey from that busyness to a place of tranquility.
- Philippa Donnellan (Ireland) / Moving Stories – Developing narratives through creative dance practice
- Catherine Young Dance (Ireland) / Connecting Cultures – Learn excerpts from Catherine Young’s “Welcoming the Stranger” featuring African dance and Palestinian Dabke dance, with live drumming.
2) Dance & Health Seminar (Thurs 19th & Fri 20th July)
Develop your skills and grow your professional network by connecting with colleagues working in the field of dance and health. Featuring leading national and international experts, this event will comprise talks, panel discussions and workshops. It is for both dance and healthcare professionals.
- Peter Lewton-Brain (Belgium), Director of International Association of Dance Medicine & Science
- Clare Guss West (Switzerland), Co-founder of the European Dance & Creative Wellness Foundation
- Tim Joss (UK), CEO & Founder, Aesop
- Professor Desmond O’Neill (Ireland), Specialist in geriatric and stroke medicine, based in Tallaght Hospital & Trinity College Dublin
- Dr. Emily Jenkins (UK), Founder of Move Dance Feel
- Dr. Richard Coaten (UK), founder of the world’s first ‘Centre of Excellence in Movement Dance & Dementia’
- Dr. Ronan Collins (Ireland), Director of Stroke Services and Consultant in Geriatric and Stroke Medicine at Tallaght Hospital
- Dr. Jenny Elliot (Northern Ireland), Chief Executive at ArtsCare
- Dr. Hilary Moss (Ireland), Senior Lecturer in Music Therapy at the World Academy of Music & Dance, University of Limerick
For more information and to make bookings please click here or go to eventbrite.ie
The Kildare Dance and Movement Summer School takes place at Loftus Hall, St Patrick’s College, Maynooth University, Co. Kildare. https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/location
Dates & Times:
Dance & Movement Mon 16th – Weds 18th July, 2018 9:30am – 4:30pm
Dance & Health Seminar Thurs 19th & Fri 20th July, 2018 9:30am – 4:30pm
There are a range of ticketing options for this year’s summer school to suit most budgets:
5 day / Full Week Pass* / 16-20 July / €160.00
3 day / Dance and Movement Pass* / 16-18 July / €110.00
2 day / Dance and Health Pass* / 19-20 July / €80.00
1 day / Day Pass* / Open to any day of your choosing / €45.00
*includes tea, coffee and light lunch
For more information contact KCC Arts Service on 045 448328 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Funded under The Arts Council’s Invitation to Collaboration Scheme 2017, this project is a partnership between Kildare, Kerry and Tipperary County Councils, and Dance Ireland.